My Yahoo! Messenger client is acting lately.
After some time wrestling inside the photography world, I have my HDD filled with a bunch of photographic image files. Some of the are worth to hang in your living room, and some, well you can say, “Purge…!!!” :P.
And for this works of art *dooh*, I felt like to share it with the world. So when I stated to chat with my friend, I got to think, “hey, why not change my old Tomb Raider avatar instead”. So I went to Y!Messenger’s Display Image setting function to set up for the new one. At first attempt, it won’t switch to the new one. I thought it was I glitch in the data transmit. Work on the next one, still got the same result. HmmmPhh… What is this??? So I went to Uncle Google for some advices and found some tweaking tips.
Well, although still unable to find what is the root cause, but at least I got to change my Y!Messenger’s Display Image as I wanted to. :P
Here are the steps:
- Change your Display Image as usual
- Commit to your new image
- If your Display Image is still unchanged, just get with it. Just make sure your new image is available on the “My Pictures” list.
- Next, go to Yahoo!Messenger’s Intallation folder to check for your new image copy (default is: c:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Messenger\Profiles\[your profile]\My Icons\), the image will be on PNG format.
- Copy the path plus the image file name (mine would be: c:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Messenger\Profiles\[your profile]\My Icons\ 20101023-Terkungkung_bw.png)
- Now, open the Registry Editor (regedit) from windows’ Run
- Find the key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Yahoo/pager/profiles/[your Yahoo profile]/FriendIcon, and modified the PATH key to your new image path and file name you’ve copied in #5 step.
- Restart your Yahoo!Messenger and Viola…!!! Now your Y!Messenger’s Display Image had changed the way you wanted.